Saturday, May 31, 2014

Happy Kidney Day!


No, not World Kidney Day, but a very special day nonetheless.

16 years ago today is the day one of my best friends received his second life saving donor kidney. I first met Padrin (AKA "Uncle P" to me and my boys) in 2003 when we both worked for the same company. He invited me out to celebrate Kidney Day the first year I worked there and I've been inviting him and his kidney out to celebrate ever since*. BTW, I named his kidney Squirtle that first year and it kind of stuck.

So wherever you find yourself today, give your kidneys a hug. Take them for a walk, treat them to a cranberry juice, make a donation to the Kidney Foundation or sign up to be an organ donor. And don't be shy! I know you're out there, so take a minute and drop Padrin and Squirtle your good wishes in comments. : )

Happy 16th Birthday little Squirtle! You are a big boy now, but you will always be little Squirtle to me. Thank you for everything you do for Uncle P.

xoxo

- L.

*We always celebrate, but this year it won't be in person. Some years it is not, but we always find a way to make things special, even if it's just a blog post and a lot of nice wishes for my dear friend and the amazing Squirtle.

2 comments:

  1. Sending my very best wishes, Padrin.

    Leslie Jeanneret :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (belated) Birthday, Squirtle. You've taken good care of Uncle P. and I wish you and Padrin the best!

    - M.

    ReplyDelete