Sunday, February 1, 2015

8:53 AM





For Nate, my first:

Five years ago at this exact time you were born.

Your favourite numbers are still 1, 4 and 7. Your favourite colour is still blue. You still wake up first in the morning and bounce out of bed to wake up everyone else. You still forgive me when I'm impatient with you, especially if it's very early in the morning. You are steadfast that way.

At age 5, you have learned some things you didn't know a year ago. You are an excellent reader of pretty much anything – there really isn't too much you can't read actually – and I'm not sure what your teachers are going to do with you in kindergarten this September. You are outgoing and like to introduce yourself to people. You talk non-stop sometimes and use big words that people don't expect coming from someone so small, so they stop to listen and wonder where you got such a big vocabulary.

Your favourite things are your maps and your calculator. If the house was on fire and I could only save two things for you, I would grab those.

You still love music and have a quick ear. If I play a song for you even just one time, you can hum or sing the tune right off the bat. You have an excellent memory for lyrics or poems. You cut a pretty mean rug too. Your favourite songs are mostly from the 70s and 80s. Livin' On A Prayer is still very popular with you.

When you grow up, you still want to do whatever Seth is going to do because you want to be his best friend. I'm glad you love your brother as much as you do. It makes my heart happy. You are still without guile and so innocent about things it worries me a little sometimes, but your brother is always there for you too. He is your watchman after all.

You are very much a boys' boy. You have a spirit for adventure, racing, breaking things, climbing things and wrestling with said brother.

This is just a little bit about you at five. I hope you have the happiest of happy birthdays today, Nate.

All my love,
Mommy

4 comments:

  1. I love you, Nate, and wish you a wonderful birthday!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweet Nate. I am so happy to be a part of your life and watching you grow into the sweet boy you are has been more love than my heart can contain. I am truly blessed to be a Gamma to you and am proud of the little boy you have become. I know I have so much more to enjoy in the future and hope this day will always be a photo in my mind of the enjoyment you bring to me. Much love and kisses, Gamma Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Nate - why are you pulling your hair out - is your little brother giving you grief on your birthday. I love your pensive look and all your little You-Tube antics. Hope you get lots of goodies on your special day!
    Much love and blessings, Great Auntie E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a very, very happy birthday, Nate. It is great to play the Franklin game, Sequence and "Go Fish". with you, except that, so far you are able to "bring me down" a lot! Your happy smiles and brave help in exploring new trails on our nature walks make every new adventure with you amazing! I love to hear your stories using the word cards and listening to you read your favourite books. Your riddles, jokes and conversations about everything that you have found out about or want to know more about make me so very happy. Grandpa David and I had so much fun at your special birthday lunch today. Thank you for inviting us to share it with you. With lots and lots of love, Grandma Leslie



    ReplyDelete