Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gaviscon: My New BFF



The really bad reflux during the night started a few weeks ago – two babies pressing on your innards will do that. There's precious little medication you can take when you're pregnant, and that applies to pretty much any affliction, but fortunately there are some remedies on the safe list for reflux.

Unfortunately I met with zero success when I tried Zantac and Tums and grew weary of forking over cash for remedies that didn't work (although Tums is good for calcium if nothing else I guess). In fact, I had fully resigned myself to not be able to recline any less than 45° for the duration of my pregnancy—and if you've ever had to do it, then you know that sleeping while you're practically sitting upright is no fun. The truth is you can sleep that way all you want, but it will never be the same as a proper lie-down sleep.

Last week I spied these Gaviscon chewables in the obstetrician's office and made M. scoop a pack. It was only a single serving, but what sweet relief! I slept laying down for a good 4–5 hours that night. I realize that might not sound so good by comparison to your sleep, but for me it was like a miracle. I got M. to pick up a bottle of these the very next day and have continued to enjoy at least a portion of the nighttime laying down like regular people. It's amazing how much you can miss something you don't even give a second thought to until it's gone, and how even a little relief can be such bliss.

- L.

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that part of carrying squeerybeeks. So glad you found Gaviscon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Relief. Not many things worse than Acid Reflux. Glad you are getting some sleep. Come to think of it, lack of sleep is something worse. Love that pic of Zed. What a guy! or is it a girl? Can't recall. Must be lack of sleep...
    Lovely manicure.

    ReplyDelete