Tuesday, November 24, 2009

In Love With Cloth



Cloth has come a long way baby!

I first encountered a circle of cloth diaper enthusiasts online around the time we found out I was pregnant and have to admit that although I hadn't given cloth vs. disposables much thought, I was intrigued right away. I wondered at the extra work involved, but figured there had to be some really good benefits given the increasing popularity of using cloth – it's a booming business these days and all those eager women weren't coming off like martyrs for a cause. They were all completely into it!

Here's what I found: the ecological and financial aspects almost seem secondary to those who are feeling the cloth love (although those are two undeniably good reasons right there). Even with the initial expenditure of cloth, it's a huge money saver in the long run (esp. when you're diapering for two!). I think the real, practical benefits though seem to come directly from use: minimal diaper rash and blowouts, the ability to customize absorbency towards individual needs, less odor from both soiled diapers as well as factory perfumes, easier (and earlier) potty learning and most importantly, comfort for baby. Makes sense – cloth vs. paper wins against my bottom too!

The pic above is more or less our completed starter stash, minus 2 additional pairs of wool covers. I kept everything pretty basic for now, with mostly Indian cotton prefolds (30 per baby) and adjustable covers (12 total) – but we splurged on a dozen fleece and hemp fitted diapers too. We've also added 4 pairs of wool covers for overnight since you can't beat wool for being naturally odor/moisture repellant as well as breathable. I have yet to hear anyone mention an overnight blowout or leakage when using these – maintenance for wool is pretty easy too.

Personal enthusiasm aside (and in case anyone is curious), I have no issue with disposables or the people who love them. There's a time and a place for sposies even if you're loving the cloth. We happily plan on using disposables during our stay in the hospital and if the boys are under 6 lbs. at birth we'll continue using them until they get big enough to fit the cloth diapers.

If anyone is still following along on this post and would like to know more about ordering cloth diapers in Canada, the bulk of our order came from Caterpillar Baby in Toronto (listed under Favorite Places in the left sidebar). I thought I'd gush about them a little since they personally delivered our order the next day and even threw in a nice freebie item. I'd highly recommend them to any and all. : )

- L.

1 comment:

  1. These look really comfy.

    No wonder you are in love with cloth!

    ReplyDelete