Monday, January 11, 2010

Now Accepting Pity



So Friday afternoon I noticed my throat felt a little scratchy like it does when one is starting to come down with a cold. I was pretty upset about it since I've been so careful to avoid germs, but since our OB is located at the hospital I figured I probably picked up a case of cooties while we were there the day before. Unfortunate, but it made sense – hospitals are full of sick people after all.

Saturday my throat felt worse – full on pain that just got more and more intense as the day wore on. I laid on the couch all day and waited for the sniffles to set in. And waited. And waited.

No sniffles. No shivers. No nothing, other than this awful pain in my throat that was reaching epic proportions.

Around dinnertime I got curious enough to take a look in the bathroom mirror and immediately saw the problem. The good news was I didn't have a cold or flu. The bad news was that there was something horrifying growing on the back of my throat.

Of course I showed it to M. (who fortunately isn't grossed out by much) and we immediately consulted with Doctor Google™. The diagnosis? Thrush.

Ew.

And OUCH. Serious ouch. I'd put the pain on par with strep throat if you've ever had it.

Sunday morning was spent tracking down a walk-in clinic to get everything confirmed by a doctor and also to find out what my options would be for treatment while pregnant. We found a clinic nearby and went shortly after they opened, but even at that there was a lengthy wait. I was pretty surprised that they offered us the option to either wait at the clinic or leave my name and come back. Bonus points for that since neither of us relished a lengthy wait in a room full of germs – we went and got our grocery shopping out of the way instead. By the time we returned there was only one person ahead of me so we didn't have to wait long.

The doctor was very nice and so sympathetic she almost had me feeling sorry for myself right there in the office. She seemed pretty surprised that I ended up with thrush since it's not too common during pregnancy – although it does happen obviously. Treatment is 7 days of pills 3 times a day and with any luck I should notice a big improvement by tomorrow.

In case the picture I posted is making you scratch your head, it's the other kind of thrush. Actual pictures of what's going on in my throat can be found in a Google™ search if you're curious and don't have a weak stomach. Personally I'd rather imagine the little birdie.

- L.

1 comment:

  1. Poor you ...

    I do hope your medicinal treatment has brought the expected improvement today. How trying for you!

    I've had strep throat and know how sore that can be.

    So glad you were able to find such an amenable clinic and doctor.

    I realize I don't need to tell you to take it easy, but will try anyway.

    David sends his very best wishes,too.

    ReplyDelete