Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Nursery

I really should have posted the pictures I took of the nursery before the little ones arrived but I wasn't happy with them (the pictures, not the little ones. They are great of course!) and finding time for a re-do has been pretty elusive until now. It's been my new mission starting this week however to properly learn how to use my fancy new camera since that got a bit sidelined (for some reason) and I thought the nursery would be a great place to start, so without delay...



01. Wardrobe (this is where we keep all the cute outfits we've been receiving).

02. Changing table and cabinet. This is where we deal with the business of... the business (if you catch my not-so-subtlety). Actually I'm lazy and usually change them in their cribs, but M. uses it a lot. The baskets hold all the accessories: snappi fasteners, cloth wipes, and covers. There are also some disposable diapers in there for quick trips to the pediatrician, etc. but otherwise we are using cloth full-time now.

03. Diaper pail (with a nice tight lid to keep the stinkies in – it works wonderfully by the way).

04. Once Upon a Time and Elephant Shoe, I Love You prints by Robert Chaplin.



05. Bookshelf with red drawer inserts. There's still plenty of room in the drawers, but for now it's a great place to keep incidental items like wee socks and mitties!

06. Bounce-a-Bye Baby Bouncer

07. Our ever-growing library of books for the boys. They've got quite a collection already!

08. The closet where we keep clothes the babies have yet to grow into. It looks like there isn't any room for the door to open for some reason, but it's quite manageable in reality.



09. First Aid Kit (nice and handy and thankfully unused at this point).

10. Organic Cotton Rabbit Rattles. So far these haven't captured the babies attention, but I'm hoping they'll be a hit once little hands get better at grabbing. The cat on the other hand was very interested in them recently. It's unfortunate that a lot of baby toys and cat toys are more or less the same thing really (soft, chewable, makes noise, etc.). Of course, this should make for some interesting scenarios in the future. Ugh.

11. I was given this teddy when I was a baby. They were a popular style at the time and hold up remarkably well since they aren't very cuddly (rather scratchy actually). As a child I loved it nonetheless and I hope my babies do too.

12. Stuffed soccer ball from IKEA – we bought a second one in black and white too. I think these will be great fun when the boys are older.



13. I painted this storage box to match the nursery furniture when I was around 36 weeks pregnant. I kept thinking Murphy's Law would hasten the arrival of the boys since I would have hated to leave a project half-done, but no such luck. It was in the nursery in plenty of time.

14. We ended up having to purchase a chair since the one I had planned to use didn't fit up or down either staircase and so we couldn't get it into the nursery. Fortunately IKEA had a solution that fit our decor at a reasonable price.

15. The cribs. For those of you wondering how a bedskirt fits on a crib, now you know! The cat loves to hide under them and terrorize your ankles when you're changing a baby which can be quite alarming if you didn't see her trailing you into the nursery and making a dash under there.

16. True Blue Rag Rug (surprisingly soft on the feet).

And since I know at least one reader will be curious about how this all lays out, this is the floorplan I made when we were figuring out how to use the space:



As you can see in the picture with the crib we still need to add in mobiles since the overhead/wall space is pretty spartan right now. No worries though – we're working on it (you know, in all our spare time). Oh, and as with the previous post you can click on the nursery pics to embiggen if you'd like a better look. : )

- L.

No comments:

Post a Comment