Friday, June 10, 2011

Scholarly Pursuits

Mommy note I: If you are a Gamma-Rita type that has a tendency to skip right to the photos, you should know there's also a new video up on our YouTube™ channel that ties in nicely with this post. The video and photos btw, were one of my many, many vain attempts to get a shot of Seth in his "Tuff Guy" onesie – and while I didn't capture what I set out to capture, I ended up with some pretty great material nonetheless. 

•   •   •   •   •


– What you has over there, Nate?
– Oh, just 'dis book I is strangely fixated on all of a sudden. Is about no logos. Or something. I be honest with you Seth, I not really sure what that mean but I know I is intent on figuring it out since I find 'dis book no matter where Mommy hide it. Seriously. I is like dog with bone over it. 


– That bigger answer than I expected Nate. "A book" would have covered my level of curiosities at 'dis point.
– Shhh! I is looking at especially riveting part. 


– Is very exciting all 'dis no logo business. Also is excuse to make interesting faces


– OK. I is over it for a minute so I finally think to ask... what has you over there Seth?
– Oh, I has a book too. 


– Does yours has pictures? Mine has pictures. Graphs too. *touch* *touch* *touch*
– No pictures. My book about psychos. 


– Ah, I look through psycho book already. You is welcome to it. Is no "No Logos" book. I just saying.

•   •   •   •   •

Mommy note II: You might have noticed there's a bookshelf in our kitchen. In case that seems a bit odd, I feel obliged to point out that we didn't always have a bookshelf there. We have always had a lot of books however and in the great room shuffle way back when, somehow it became necessary to relocate one of our many bookshelves kitchen-ward. There is actually a third bookshelf, but since it's on the upstairs floor (a Narnia like place the boys have yet to stumble upon) it hasn't appeared as a backdrop here. Yet.

Again, we have a lot of books. 

And quite possibly it's a genetic trait, since Nate and Seth seem pretty obsessed also. In hindsight, it's not surprising that Seth's first word was "book". Or that he has his own library*.

Since the boys were old enough to crawl out to the kitchen at mealtime, the kitchen bookshelf has always been the go-to spot. The fact that they are walking now only means they are able to get there faster. It's not uncommon for a book-raid to take place on any given day before I'm able to get everyone seated, but the fascination over the "No Logo" book is a bit baffling.

For the record when I took these photos and shot the video (seriously, go check it out), No Logo was solely Nate's territory, but Seth is in on the action now too.

It's become a bit of a game and I'll admit I play along because it's really pretty amusing. I really do hide the book, but only on the lower two shelves where they can reach it easily.

And reach it easily they do. I think I might need to start hiding it for real.

- L.

* Much like the Touching Finger, Seth's Library™ deserves it's own post. Which I will get to one of these days. You know, in all my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment