Sunday, May 13, 2012

Yarrr! Happy Mother's Day!

Pre-flower-picking in the afternoon.
No pics from this morning since we had a lot to get done and everyone slept in to boot (Mommy's Day score btw!), but we did have a follow-up conversation pursuant to my previous post... 

• • • • • • • 

Me: Do you remember what day it is today?

S: Is special occasion.

N: Special occasion today!

Me: Wow. That's some big words. I can't believe you both remembered "special occasion". Do you remember what the special occasion is?

S: Is Saturday!

Me: Hmmm... well, no. It's actually Sunday today, but that's a good guess. What do you think Nate? Do you remember why it's a special occasion today?

N: Is Blue Day!

Me: Blue Day? Hmmm... I don't know what that is, but it sounds fun. It's actually Mommy's Day today. Do you remember Mommy's Day?

S: ...

N: ...

S: Avast me hearties!

N: ... and a bottle of rum!

S: Yo-ho-ho!

N: Yarrr!

And end scene.

• • • • • • • 

Highlights from today:

Between breakfast and lunch we made art. Specifically, we recreated a previous art project on actual watercolor paper since I was so impressed with the boys' Jackson Pollock stylings I decided I wanted some to frame. I did one as well this time.


The pic doesn't do our efforts justice since they look much nicer in person and less like crime scene spatter analysis photos. Definitely frameable and we had lots of fun making art. Left to right: Nate, Mommy and Seth.

After lunch, my guys surprised me with an unexpected nap instead of quiet times. They slept for a good 90 minutes and it probably would have been longer, but I finally decided it was time to go in and make a little noise. 


Nate was not quite as ready as Seth to wake up, but we got going eventually. Also, I am loving Seth's sweaty bed head look.

By the time we got out the door this afternoon the local market was sold out of cut flowers, but we still had fun browsing the gardening section. At least until the boys got a little hands-on and starting picking flowers. Oops!


I didn't want us to leave empty handed, so we picked up a little cactus that we all agreed looked interesting and headed home where I promptly put the boys to work in the dandelion ridden backyard.

OK, not really. The truth is they love picking dandelions and if you've been around our place then you know that the backyard is rife with weeds. My guys had a grand time gathering a bouquet for Mommy.

Long-stem dandelions no less. Fancy!

As fun as that was, I think I can safely say the cupcakes and ice cream for dessert were the highlight of the day's festivities. Well, as far as Nate and Seth were concerned anyway: 

Om. Nom. Nom. Nom.

Dessert was yummy, the art was fun and the flower picking was a sweet time. I had a wonderful Mommy's Day.

Still, that surprise nap out of the blue (hmmm... blue day?) that gave a weary me a nice break in the middle of the day? Well, that made a wonderful Mommy's Day fairly magical – and by that I mean actual magic was probably involved if my boys were in a mood to take a nap. I try not to question these things for the most part lest it break the spell.

- L.

PS. There was a chorus of "Mommy's Day!" and "Happy Mommy's Day!" coming from the boys' room while I was preparing dinner tonight. I thought about grabbing the camera, but much like questioning the gift of an unexpected nap I didn't want to break the spell here either, and so I kept on with the food prep and just enjoyed the moment.

PPS. I'm pretty sure I was asking for the pirate chat since I taught them that one. Not sure how or why it appeared today since it was a one time thing that happened well over a month ago, but there it was. Yarrr!

2 comments:

  1. Just read this and laughed so hard at the sudden break into Pirate-speak that I had to haul DH over to look too. He laughed too. I adore toddlers, and yours are particularly fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how this comment got held up in moderation mode since I don't moderate comments, but I'm glad I finally noticed it and hit publish.

    Also glad my boys and their pirate-speak gave you a laugh. It wasn't quite what I was expecting on Mother's Day, but it definitely gave me a laugh too – a very memorable one I might add in all the best ways.

    ReplyDelete