Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Happy All Hallows Eve (Eve)!


In preparation for the big day (which at this point I'm hoping won't get rained out because my boys are so excited about their very first "trick or treat!"), a few things happened around the OP in the past 48 hours.

Treats were made:


I still don't have it together when it comes to cookie cutters for the occasion, but cats are sort of Hallowe'en-ish and orange and black decorations make it work, right? The boys were thrilled with all the "Mitches and Floyds"* at least.

I also dug out the family heirloom ceramic pumpkin** from when I was a little girl and "Mommy's jack-o-lantern!" was a hit. 


M. and I also sprung for some dollar store pumpkins on a string yesterday (because we are big spenders like that) but they fizzled out before bedtime last night, so I quietly beheaded them this morning and placed them in a jar for a minimal-effort "centerpiece" for the dining table. Also a hit. 


Nate and Seth keep looking at them and saying "Hello pumpkins!", so in the end they were totally worth the $2, even if they ended up being repurposed.

After lunch we made some ghostly footprints which isn't as easy as they make it look on all those crafty mom sites, but then I expect most of them don't have twin boys. Fortunately I already had a bath waiting when we were done. 

A big "BOO!" plus a creaky step from Nate.

And an equally big "BOO!" plus a chain rattle from Seth (who I assure you has
perfectly regular feet despite appearances).

And in case that's not enough pre-Hallowe'en for you, an honest-to-goodness skeleton*** appeared in the boys' room right after said bath. No joke.

Behold! 

– Dude, go eat a sandwich.
– I would if someone send one. In the meantime, I effectively impersonate skeleton.
It helps pass the time while I waste away.

No worries – I fed the boys Mitch and Floyd Hallowe'en cookies after lunch and supper today. I'm sure it will fatten Mr. Skinny right up.**** 

– Is Mitch.
– Is Floyd now.

– Is also yummy, but is still Mitch.
– Yummy, yes... but also still Floyd.

Happy All Hallows Eve (Eve) everyone!

- L.

*Mitch and Floyd are very popular over here thanks to this book by Oliver Jeffers. Anything that can be named is either Mitch or Floyd (but most especially cats) and that included the cookies today. Mitch and Floyd also feature heavily in many of the great debates of late, but that is a post for another time. 

**I placed the pumpkin there to take a photo, but rest assured it was safely out of reach (although much admired) when my boys were within reaching distance.

***Our sandwich campaign has been a miserable failure, but the one I sometimes call Skinny is now in the 25th percentile for weight (believe it or not). He still looks a lot like he did though when I'm fairly certainly he dipped below the 5th percentile so I'm not sure I'm buying it. Our humble campaign for sandwiches however remains in effect until further notice.

****Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment