Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Really Big Deal Post About Sitting


If you've been reading along for awhile then you already know Nate wasn't sitting unassisted (on his behind) at 15 months and that I took him for an X-ray and also to see a pediatric sports medicine doctor over a year ago.

By 17 months he was able to sit without assistance, but only with his legs stuck out completely straight. It was strangely good timing since I wasn't sure how baths were going to work out with him kneeling in a regular tub, but as you can see the timing worked out very well*.

Still, his preference was (and always has been) sitting in the W-pose. Otherwise it's been legs straight out unless a chair – or some other form of support – is involved. All we were told really was to encourage Nate to sit cross-legged and to discourage the W-pose, but all that did was make Nate miserable and to be honest I was worried it was hurting him. He was still too little at 15 months to let me know if something hurt or not with words and even though a physiological issue hadn't been discovered, I really didn't pursue it much because of that. His obvious discomfort to the point of crying was enough for me.

If I pick Seth up he will readily wrap his legs around my waist, but Nate does not/cannot. I gently tried bending Nate's legs into a sort of leg-wrap position not that long ago and they just didn't want to go in that direction.

So I hope you know just how long I've been waiting to see this and I wasn't sure I ever would, but here it is:


Snack crackers got him to sit still enough for me to take a picture, but he did the rest all by himself.

And by the second shot, he looked like he'd been doing it forever:


Well done, Nate. You sure know how to surprise the pants off your Mommy.

- L.

*By the time the bath photos were taken by Uncle Padrin (AKA "Uncle P"), Nate had actually been sitting in the tub for 3 months**.

**Not consecutively of course. I mean he was sitting upright in the tub at regular bath times for 3 months prior.

PS. Speaking of Uncle P, it's actually Padrin's birthday today. Must be a lucky day. Happy Birthday once again Uncle P! Lots of love from everyone at the OP.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yay!!!! I'm so glad he is able to sit that way now! I'm sure you're relieved.

    And,

    Happy Birthday, Padrin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ** comment made me giggle. WTG, Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys and a Happy belated Thanksgiving - I understand you "gobbled" up all the dinner mom provided and enjoyed every lipsmacking bite. A Happy Birthday to Padrin - and hope for many, many more! Love you lots, Gamma Rita P.S. - Hope you get your little surprise box from me pretty soon - all full of treasures from Gamma Rita's yard.

    ReplyDelete