Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day Everyone!


Made in Canada indeed!

Our Canada Day craft project. It doesn't show up very well, but there was a lot of stamping with red ink on the white parts of the banner courtesy of my boys (and some red fingerprints for added authenticity):


And our official Canada Day breakfast, complete with real Canadian maple syrup taking center stage. This is also my official apology for formerly referring to pancakes as "blotters". I have no idea what my problem was – pancakes are delicious and I'm going on record as a reformed pancake hater turned pancake lover.


My boys like them too (well, at least one of them). Also, we have Canada Day napkins:


The Dollar Store played a big role in most of our decor today.


Including Gamma Rita's silly visor, a healthy dose of Canada Day tattoos and some maple leaf bandanas. I kind of messed up Seth's so it is more ascot than bandana, but you get the idea.



Seth showing off his face tattoo while patiently waiting to head out for some Canada Day fun:


The Canadian Legion Hall up the street had some kids activities on offer so we headed down. The "face painting lady" was a no show, but everyone running the games was very generous to a pair of 3 year olds without much skill and we came home with plenty of prizes.

More importantly, we showed up in time to see the veterans stand and sing our national anthem followed by a moment of silence (during which my boys were actually silent). It was a short but powerful ceremony and I'm glad Nate and Seth got to witness it.


There was also a bouncy castle, and despite appearances, Seth hated it:

– I really do hate this everyone.
And Nate loved it (which came as no surprise to anyone). Nate has jumping beans in his pants most of the time, so a bouncy castle was right up his alley. I realize it looks like he's trying to escape, but the truth is I was scared I was going to have to climb into the bouncy castle to extract him when it was time to go.

– Don't be fooled everyone. I am having the time of my life.
There was also free popcorn which we discovered as we were leaving. My boys have never tried popcorn so I grabbed a bag for each of them and promptly sat them down at the first available spot so they could sample it. Unfortunately that happened to be a bit of a beat-up looking doorway up the street from home. We have a nice home, I promise, but I'll admit these pics make it look a tad derelict around these parts. 


Still, the popcorn was a hit. I tried to steal some but got told straight up "Mommy! Don't eat all our popcorn!".

– Om nom nom nom nom.
We made it home in time for lunch and to my surprise, the boys actually ate lunch. Probably so they could get to dessert which came in the form of chocolate covered marshmallow treats we bought at the fun fair.

– Not as delicious as we had hoped everyone. Good thing Mommy had some backup cookies.
 
We also took some time to get a little dirty in our backyard trying out some of our freshly won loot:


And then I got everyone cleaned up and had them sit and look miserable. OK, not really. It's true that the clean up happened, but the misery was all their own. Why so sad boys?


Awhhh - you were just waiting for me? Really?


Because this is much better.


And these faces crack me up:


Also I kind of want to frame this one since we all look reasonably happy here and no one is wreaking havoc or making a silly face:


I made it up to them with some watermelon afterward. Seth however looked decidedly suspicious:


Somewhere between enjoying watermelon and our official flag waving, there was a minor boo-boo. Nate was over it by the time I took the picture, but did a good job looking poorly nevertheless. If his upper lip looks a little puffier than usual it met up with a little pavement at the park.

– Theatrics is my specialty everyone!
And now on with the official flag waving:


And flag waving with silly faces:


At least until Gamma Rita sounded the call to arms:


And we rounded up the bugle boys for a walk around the block, complete with noisemakers:


And just in case anyone in our new neighborhood was uncertain about where all the noise was coming from, we stopped loud and proud outside our front door, blew our trumpets and wished everyone a "Happy Canada Day!"



– Happy Canada Day, everyone!
*toot, toot, toot, toot, TOOT!*
Of course, no Canada Day post would be complete without cupcake faces at the end, so here it is:


And tonight was a double-score since I not only captured Seth's cupcake face, I also caught him in the middle of one of his new favorite pastimes – telling you straight up what's what, complete with a finger in your face. I can't even recall what I was in trouble for here:


Let's just pretend it was Seth sternly advising you all to have a Happy Canada Day. Or else.

- L.

No comments:

Post a Comment