Thursday, May 19, 2011

Nate's Big Adventure


Yesterday morning Nate and I took a trip to Sick Kids Hospital to have an X-ray taken of his hip joints. This was the first time I've used my Ergo Sport carrier instead of a stroller since we had to take transit to get there. To be honest, wearing a 23 lb. toddler felt a lot like being pregnant all over again – complete with not being able to see my own feet, and coupled with a persistent ache that rapidly formed somewhere in my lower spine. Combined with all the requisite gear I had strapped on my back just getting there definitely qualified as a work-out and then some.


You can see Nate looks pretty thrilled too. 


Nate and Daddy in the Radiology waiting area. I loved the creative paintings on the walls that reflect the nature of the different departments. Every hospital should look like this one.


Nate post-X-ray. Don't worry, it didn't make him grow an extra ear or start melting. My camera setting accidentally found itself on some kind of long exposure setting. 


Even with the top of his head morphing into vapor, you can't miss that sad little face. X-rays are scary when you are too small to know what's going on, even when Mommy and Daddy are right there with you.


Our chariot approaching for the ride home. It was also Nate's first time on a streetcar, and the Touching Finger was out in full force once we were aboard. The window screws were especially fascinating. 


Me and my sweet boy heading home. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the baby carrier overall, but I definitely like the non-stop cuddle factor. 


And lastly, a little souvenir from Nate's big adventure. I let him wear it for the rest of the afternoon. He didn't even seem to mind that someone spelled his name wrong.

•   •   •   •   • 

Mommy note: I last wrote about where things were at with Nate still not sitting unassisted towards the end of this post. Since then I've continued to try to get Nate interested in sitting with either legs out in front or campfire-style. Campfire style was recommended by our pediatrician who clearly doesn't get that a boy who is unwilling or unable to sit isn't going to appreciate the added joys of being turned into a little pretzel. And although I take time to incorporate both styles into our daily activities, I'd just be happy for Nate to sit comfortably unassisted any way he chooses.

At this point, I'm convinced that sitting is causing Nate actual discomfort. It is not a position he will move himself into voluntarily and one that he quickly wriggles out of when placed that way. When moving away isn't an option – sitting in a high-chair at meals for example – he leans back and lists to his left for the most part.

Of course while I was explaining all of this to the pediatrician Nate decided it would be a good time to sit up on the exam table.

On his bum.

With his legs out in front.

As though it was no problem at all.

And even though I know why he was suddenly able to do that – the pedi positioned him that way and then brought out her penlight and stethoscope (very exciting and distracting btw!) – I'm sure I looked like a bit of a loon.

The thing is, I can get Nate to sit briefly too if there is something super distracting going on, but it's pretty difficult creating that level of super-awesome distractibility on a daily basis. And it's impossible to create and sustain a level of distraction for any longer than a few minutes. I know this because we go through this every day.

In the end, Dr. C. wrote a referral for Nate to have a hip X-ray done at Sick Kids. She did (again) note that he has an unusual degree of rotation in his knees and ankles, but I think an equal share of her motivation might have been just to get me out the door. I think she thinks we are just not trying hard enough, and she thinks I don't believe her when she says nothing is wrong.

And she's right about the last part anyway. I don't believe this has anything to do with a lack of motivation, except in the way we all might not be motivated to do something that causes us discomfort.

Whether Nate's hip turns out to be the problem or not I hope at least we are on the road to getting some answers. For what it's worth, I'm a bit dubious about his hip being the problem, but given the extra rotation in that area (as well as many of his other joints) I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to see what's going on in there for its own sake. The degree of flexibility he has in his ankles, knees, shoulders, elbows, and thumbs is bound to have an effect on Nate at some point since all of these areas will likely be more prone to injury as a result.

I've mentioned before that I do have a concern about Nate's spine. The listing and leaning back while seated are one reason, but the other reason is this photo I took awhile back.

When I look at it, I see this: 


Dr. C is 100% confident that there is nothing wrong with Nate's spine and while I trust her as Nate's pediatrician, I plan to bring this as well as other related photos along to our next appointment. At the very least, maybe she can at least explain to me what I'm seeing.

Either way, it will be interesting to find out what, if anything, the X-ray turns up.

In the meantime, we wait.

- L.

1 comment:

  1. All my best to you little Nate

    love
    padrin

    ReplyDelete