Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I Planted A Tree

My Gram was a pensioner when she died and gave most of what she had while she was still alive so it came as a complete surprise to me to receive $200 a month later. I knew right away I wanted to do something more with it than simply put it in my bank account.

At the time, the state of our backyard was dismal to say the least and something I really wanted to do in general (create some green space on our deck for the boys) was something we couldn't practically afford. More than that though, I wanted to use that money to make something meaningful for Gram.

And so I planted a tree. I took a long time choosing it too, but when I finally found it I knew it was just right:


Also planted: more than enough herbs, flowers* and plants to make our deck a fine green space this summer even if the landlord hadn't surprised us all two weeks later by finally making good on his promise for last summer (sort of) by at least putting down some grass in the backyard.

The balance came to $168.00 which left just enough for this: 


3 months today and I still can't believe she's not here.

 L.

*Nate and Seth have surprisingly left the tomato plants alone in favor of terrorizing the flowers I planted which is a sort-of victory I guess. Also my Gram? She would have loved every minute of the hijinks that have unfolded in our backyard this summer. I hope wherever she is, she's got a front row seat to it all. Those boys of mine would have made her laugh like nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Without ever meeting the twins, she delighted in hearing about them and remembering how she once thought she'd like twins (before she had even one baby). In her vivid imagination, she laughed at the antics she knew they would be up to and keeping you busy! Of all the things we talked about, the twins were her favourite. Auntie E.

    ReplyDelete