Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cupcakes Revisited

You might recall that we served up some delicious cupcakes for dessert to commemorate my (already very sweet) boys big two-and-a-half year milestone/half-birthday. Those cupcakes truly were yummy (as evidenced here and most especially here) but at $3.25 a pop they weren't exactly budget-friendly.

It wasn't too long after the fact though that Gamma Rita discovered a half package of cake mix in my cupboard and decided we needed (NEEDED!) to make a more budget-friendly version of our own. We went with chocolate on chocolate, and added a mini-oreo cookie for effect.


Which begs the obvious question of course – how DID they stack up compared to store-bought? 

To which I say, the results speak for themselves. 

– You catch me at awkward time everyone...

– ... but I has to admit, these is superior cupcakes.

– I also big fan despite lack of mess on face. Unlike Seth, I make sure frosting
(mostly) end up in mouth. New cupcakes was big hit.
In fact, we is still talking 'bout them. A lot.

- L.

PS. Gamma Rita is a fountain of knowledge on yummy frosting techniques as it turns out. These were made using a packet of Dream Whip (follow package directions) and a square of semi-sweet Baker's chocolate (melt, cool and add to mixture). Makes more than enough to frost a dozen cupcakes. Refrigerate and serve for an especially nice treat on a hot summer day.

PPS. Seth's pics are more or less what I envisioned for their first birthday cake experience and we didn't fare much better the second time around. It's been a long time coming to get to this point in time so you'll have to forgive me if I especially enjoy posting pics of all those messy faces. On the other hand it's about time, wouldn't you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment