Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Bath Saga

A few weeks ago it became obvious that it would soon be time to transition Nate and Seth's bath time from the kitchen sink to their baby bathtub, especially if I was going to be bathing the babies by myself. Even babies that really like their bath in the kitchen sink are surprisingly squirmy and at 12+ lbs. each it was just too much to hang on to a wet slippery baby with one hand and wash said baby with the other.

For whatever reason I decided to try the tub we purchased by myself for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It seemed like a pretty standard tub and our babies have always been pretty calm at bath time so I figured it would be no big deal. I have to tell you, even in a worst case scenario I didn't expect SO MUCH SCREAMING. They both hated it. So. Very. Much.

Like, a whole lot – and my words aren't doing this justice. I don't think Nate cried as hard when I nearly dismembered his wee toe, just to give you an idea.

Both Nate and Seth hated it so much that we went back to bathing them in the kitchen sink while I scrambled trying to find a tub they would hate less. I thought part of the problem was that the basin of the tub we had originally bought was quite shallow when filled with water and left more of the baby exposed than covered – which had not been the case with the kitchen sink.

For your reference, this is the tub we originally bought. Looks pretty standard, no?

In the end, after much research, reading of user reviews and thinking about how much I didn't want to face Round 2 with the original baby bath, I broke down and purchased this instead:



Yep. It's a bucket.

Well, a bucket meant for bathing your babies in that is. It's a spa bath. Pretty fancy, huh?

There are various models that range from $30 to $50. Which one did I get? Oh, the $50 one of course because it could be delivered and none of our local retailers carried one. La-dee-dah!

Since the babies hated the bucket less than the baby bathtub I was at least able to get a few pictures so you can gauge for yourselves how it was received.

Well, OK. I've added a little commentary. ; )



– Well, dis is new. I wonder what I think of it?



– Oh, right. I hate it!



– I'm with you brother. Dis is stinkeroo! Why mommy? Why???

My poor babies!

In the end, it wasn't as miserable as the other style, but no one liked it either. I will say that I had an easier time bathing them in the bucket though, so I'll give the new tub a few points for that at least.

*sigh*

- L.

2 comments:

  1. Mummy Lisa - whatsamattayou??? That's the most ridiculous looking tub to put your wee bibies in that I've ever seen - when I arrive I'll show you what a baby tub looks like and those poor wee bibies will have a whale of a time! Gamma Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put a plant in it - there's no room in there for the poor babies wee, wee! Guess who?

    ReplyDelete