Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Operation Christmas Child: The Boxes Are Packed

As I mentioned in a previous post, we packed two boxes for Operation Christmas Child this year. It's our first time participating, but I had so much fun shopping I hope to make this an OP Christmas tradition. It was challenging to not only find things that would fit in a shoebox, but also taking into account language barriers, especially when it comes to toys. It was important to pick things that could be understood in any language. I thought I'd done a pretty good job on our first outing, but it turned out there was still room in the boxes, so back we went. And yet again for a few more things since there was still a few small spaces. Shoeboxes are roomier than they appear. Apparently.

Wrapping is optional, but really, I couldn't not wrap the boxes (lids separately of course). I hope OCC doesn't go broke paying extra freight because I got tape happy. : ) 


The boxes we packed were for 2 boys, ages 5–9. The contents are mostly identical so I just took a picture of everything that's going into one box. We scored some great deals (like 2-for-1 at Babies R Us plus a 50% off scratch card at the check-out!). Here's everything we managed to stuff into a regular shoebox: 


• Travel size Perfection game (pictures on the back are pretty self-explanatory so it shouldn't matter if the recipient can't read English. Also... no batteries required!)

• Lego Creator kit (all the pieces create 3 different vehicles. Again, pictures on the back are quite clear).

• Animal Planet dinosaurs (the other box has Animal Planet farm animals instead. There are approximately 15–20 different figures in each tube).

• Marvel Superheroes children's toothbrush (it has a cap for the brush and comes with a toothbrush "buddy". I got Spiderman for both boxes.)

• Art Supplies: 1 sketchbook, 24-pack of Crayola pencil crayons (with pencil sharpener).

• Sweets: Lifesavers was all I could come up with due to OCC regulations in Canada (individually wrapped hard candy is all we're permitted to send. Kind of a bummer.)

• School Supplies: 1 lined notebook, 12 HB pencils, a 12" ruler, 2 erasers and 1 highlighter pen.

• Clothing: 1 long sleeve shirt, 2 pairs of socks.

The only thing left to do is deliver the boxes this week. I hope the little boys who get these boxes have even half the fun that I had shopping for them.

Godspeed, shoeboxes. I hope you find your way to the little ones that need you the most.

- L.

No comments:

Post a Comment