Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Random Acts Of Domesticity

I recently came across a recipe online for a slow-cooker pot roast, although I'm not even sure I should call it a recipe since it was so simple. Really, it was a meal that cooked itself with less than 5 minutes of prep time. And it was not only delicious, it yielded two freezer meals for a lazy day (or two lazy days rather) plus a generous supply of homemade Baby Beef Stew after a run through the food processor. 

If you'd like to make this delicious feast yourself don't forget I already warned you that it may take up to 5 minutes to prepare.

Easy-Peasy Pot Roast:

• 3 lb. pot roast (I used a cross-rib)
• 10-12 little potatoes, halved (I pulled out all the stops and used both red and white potatoes)
• 1 bag of baby carrots

Rinse and place into slow cooker.

• Add 1 pkg. Club House pot roast seasoning (mixed with 1 cup water per package instructions).

• Pour over meat and veggies.

• Place lid on slow-cooker and set on low for 8 hours.

• Walk away and enjoy the rest of your day. : )

If you want to get fancy like I did, you can steam some peas and make a side-salad at the end, but this is purely optional.

Here was the end result:


Uninvited guests (unfortunately) may be included. Can't really blame poor Zed for trying though – and yes, I did (reluctantly) share.

All in all it turned out pretty well so I took a look around to see what I could get into next and noticed an entire bag of blueberries in my freezer – and you know what they say...

When life hands you babies that hate blueberries, better get baking!

So I whipped up a batch of blueberry muffins that have suddenly made breakfast for me a real thing around these parts again. These are straight from the Company's Coming cookbook series and very yummy. 


And last on my domestic endeavors for the week...

De-pilling the boys' Disana wool covers:

Oh, how I could go on and on about the awesomeness of these covers, but I will admit the extreme pilling caught me a little off guard this time around. However, 10 minutes with a razor and voilĂ :


BTW, I included the "leavings" in the pic so you all wouldn't think this was just a 10 minute Photoshop job instead of the real deal. 

Now if I could only find another 10 minutes to finish the other cover I'd really be in business. Ah well, there's always next week.

- L.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the yummy-looking pot-roast recipe.

    I'll be trying it tomorrow!

    Those blueberry muffins look delectable, too - a lot like Grandpa David's batch. I wonder if he used the same recipe...

    Good job on de-pilling the covers.


    Love and best wishes to all, including Zed,

    Grandma Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will definitely try this recipe. I just rediscovered the slow cooker and LOVE it for the convenience of being able to throw stuff together in the morning, and have dinner for grown ups and babies in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, in Vancouver, enjoyed a slow cooker stew today - encouraged by your slow cooker pot roast which looks picture perfect. Your mummy is sooooo proud of your domesticity (as you knew she would be). Hope Zed loved the muffins as well as the roast! Love and hugs to my two favourite little men and their lovely mother. Gamma Rita

    ReplyDelete