Friday, June 8, 2012

Gamma Rita Bring Them!



Last summer when Gamma Rita came to visit she introduced my boys to all manner of seasonal fruit. At the time Nate was less than impressed with most of what was on offer, but the one thing both my boys agreed on were the cherries.

It seemed like every major grocery store had cherries in stock last weekend, and since they were also on sale I picked up a bag. When I pulled them out of the fridge the next morning for breakfast my boys were so excited – but it wasn't just about the cherries as it turned out.

"Gamma Rita bring them!" they said over and over again, and since they weren't yet seated at the table they proceeded to look around for Gamma Rita. They really thought she must be here since who else would buy them cherries I suppose. Before they got too carried away I let them know that while Gamma Rita isn't here yet she told Mommy to get them some cherries, and fortunately they both seemed content with that for the time being.

I have to say I was fairly amazed at the instant association they had over something they haven't seen in at least 10 months. I have no idea how they remembered cherries when the last time my boys ate some they were barely a year and a half old.

Those must have been some cherries alright!*

- L.

*More like some Gamma alright, who worried for naught that my boys would have long forgotten her when she visited last December. I think it's safe to say if they remember the fruit they ate last summer, they aren't likely to forget their Gamma any time soon.

PS. I've asked Nate and Seth a few times here and there if they remember the long-distance hugs we made for Gamma Rita and they never fail to correct me:

"We send high-fives!"

Hope you're still enjoying your high-fives, Gamma Rita!

1 comment:

  1. Love you two little squirts and your "high-fives" or long distance hugs. Thanks for remembering your long distance Gamma - only 21 more sleeps and I'll be there to spank-a-bum! Lots of hugs, love and good old slobbery kisses, Gamma Rita

    ReplyDelete