Saturday, June 23, 2012

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star...

Ever wondered what you are?

If so, my boys will tell you. It started over breakfast Wednesday morning when Seth declared "Mommy is a raisin toast!" and Nate said "Daddy is a raspberry!" and things kind of snowballed after that. Eventually I grabbed a pen and started writing things down when it was clear they were just going to keep going. At the time I was pretty impressed with the things they came up with to ascribe to the people we know. I was planning to blog about it that night – especially since my computer was ailing and a text post was about (maybe) all she could have handled – and because I wanted to make sure I'd have that list handy when evening fell I made sure to put it in a very safe place.

And then I forgot where I put it (which is the nature of putting things in safe places after all). Fortunately I happened to stumble across it while looking for something completely unrelated today.

All's well that ends well.

For my own personal amusement today I asked them if they remembered what everyone was and to my great surprise they actually did. They even embellished on a few of them and only wavered on one.

Without further ado, here is what you all are according to Nate and Seth:

• Mommy is a raisin toast.
• Daddy is a raspberry.
• Grandma Leslie is a cantaloupe.
• Gamma Rita is a banana.
• Uncle Brent is a vaseline.
• Auntie Karen is a diaper.
• Maxine is an orange.
• Simone was a cucumber salad but is now an "itchy nose" (this is the one they wavered on).
• Grandpa David is a cheese-ball.

• Nanny Devon is a delightful football.
• Nanny Kaytee is a story.

• *landlord's name* is a machine (Nate and Seth have been under the impression that our landlord is a machine for a long time now so this one didn't surprise me really, but it does make me laugh).
• Peter (his son) is a cloud. 

• Padrin is peas. 
• Robyn is a bird. "A bird with a red breast! A very red breast!"
• Troy is a beard.
• Janice is a ham and a strawberry jam.
• Neil is "all done!".

And last, but by no means least since it's one of my favorites:

• Malcolm is "a you're welcome"... "and a thank you too!"

- L.

PS. I personally felt better about being a "raisin toast" after Seth self-identified as a "raisin toast" also. Good company and all. Nate is a Magna-Tile™, which is also a fine thing to be.

• • • • • • •

It's my sincerest hope that no one is offended by their assigned titles. For the record, Grandpa David is not a cheese ball (at least not to the best of my knowledge) but he did make the boys some cheese balls once and they were a hit. Similarly, I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable explanations behind most of these. Nanny Devon is "delightful" because she taught them that word (the football part is a bit of a mystery though). I have no idea why Maxine is an orange or Gamma Rita is a banana or why poor Neil is "all done!".

If you didn't happen to be on this super-fantastic list, but would like to know what you are (according to two toddlers with a fine sense of humor) leave your name in the comments – I'll be happy to ask them and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment