Monday, March 5, 2012

New Beds: The Past 24 Hours

Suffice it to say, my boys went fairly wild over their new beds. Not only did they spend all their time dashing back and forth between the beds and trying them out as though they really were new beds and not just their cribs with one side missing, there was a constant chorus of "'Dis is new! 'Dis is new! 'Dis is NEW!!!".

I imagined I'd pretty much be picking them off the ceiling when it came time to go to sleep.

The converted cribs were better than Christmas and their birthday all rolled into one (times roughly a million to the power of 10 minus the somber and stinkeroo aspects).

It was all very exciting!

At least until it was actually time to go to bed.

We have a pre-bed routine which is always a big hit, so I was a little caught off guard last night when the usual schtick was met with tears and resistance. I was even more caught off guard when the boys were OK with getting into bed without it.

To be honest, I wondered if I was going to be one of the lucky ones where the kids take to a bed like a fish to water and we'd have no troubles whatsoever because my boys would suddenly want to go to bed without an elaborate routine first.

Ah, it was a nice moment while it lasted.

Here's how things looked when I finally got everyone tucked in (do not let Nate's sleepy eye pose fool you – Seth's pose is a much more accurate representation of things to come). 


The next 45 minutes were filled with many thwarted attempts at shenanigans. I'm sure both my boys wondered how I always "knew", but they gave themselves away every time – and mostly verbally which was surprising. And although there were a few *crash, thud, bang!* moments as well (also a giveaway!), they were mostly busy ratting themselves out via their own vocabulary.

It made me laugh.

When everyone had finally had enough of getting busted, they settled in for the night. No one made a fuss about the sleep sacks at any point.

And truth be told, they were both soundly asleep by 10:15 – a regular night around here – despite the new beds, new blankets and new pillows.

Also new: they slept in each other's beds last night.

All night.

Or at least until 7:30 this morning when I heard the pitter patter of little feet* and realized it was time to get up.

• • • • • • • 

It's par for the course at the OP that cars ("CAHS!") are the first thing on everyone's mind in the morning. The whole car ("CAH!") obsession is a whole other post, but you should know that the cars get put away at night and taken out again in the morning. Typically the white box in the nursery is awash with cars within 10 minutes of waking up, but this morning something a little different happened: 


Cars. In a bed. Neatly lined up.

And clearly putting the white box to shame since no such neatness has ever happened over there. Of course the cars had been put there for a reason, which became clear by and by.

Seth was temporarily the "King of Cahs!" this morning (with a little help from Nate):

'Dis my CAH! empire everyone!
 At least until the fame of it all became too much to handle: 

*wheee!*
This morning's ventures into new bed territory mainly involved dragging various toys into bed and playing with them there. Typically together. 

There was also a lot of jumping. 

Some pics from the non-jumping moments (AKA: when it was still about the cars): 




If (for any reason) you are unable to see the look of shenanigans about to be afoot in the last picture, please have your eyes tested at once since this is an obvious "tell" from at least 100 paces. I am used to less obvious moments at this point, but I could practically draw lines between their shenanigan cortexes without effort when I took that picture. 

Which is why I put the camera down.

And my boys? They did not disappoint all day. It was definitely business as usual** for the most part.

- L.

*Although picture it with less pitter-patter and more *thump* *thump* *thump*. 

** Business as usual = all day shenanigans. Really, they did not disappoint.

PS. Nap-time today was unexpectedly difficult, although they napped well once I got everyone to stay in their beds. Getting to that point was admittedly tough though and involved a lot of pop-ins. They both slept in their usual beds this afternoon, but I did have to cave and bring out the sleep sacks to make it happen.

Tonight, the blankets were no trouble once again. And once again, my boys are sleeping in each other's beds – perhaps it's a night-time thing? – although it does give me pause to wonder if I've had the sleeping arrangements wrong the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment