Friday, April 30, 2010

Life Lessons With Nate & Seth: Thumbs Are Not For Sucking

Hi. My name is Nate and I really like my pacifier. I like it a lot. You may have noticed this about me from many of the pictures on this blog. But recently I discovered something even better...

– Well, hello there!



– Wonder how far I can fit this in my mouth.



– Oh, 'bout that far. Good stuff.



– Uh-oh. My mommy says fingers and pacifiers are OK, but thumbs are not for sucking. That's how this thing ended up back in my mouth.



– What a spoilsport that mommy is! And Seth? Let's just say he's not too impressed with any of this either.



– See? Not impressed at all!

Mommy note: The discovery and love of the go anywhere "pacifier" is a new development. For now, if I see a thumb in the mouth it gets replaced straight away with the pacifier – but as you all know you can't watch them 24/7. This past week it's not been uncommon to find Nate in the nursery asleep with his thumb still half in his mouth. I'm not sure we can do a whole lot at this point, but I'll be doing some research in the meantime – this is definitely a habit that I'd prefer not develop only because I know it's a powerful one to break later. There was a baby "expert" on TV the other day who said, "You can always throw away a pacifier but you can't throw away a thumb". Good point. Of course, I missed the rest of what he had to say because I was busy with the babies, so if you have a helpful suggestion please leave it in comments.

- L.

2 comments:

  1. ebrummell@telus.netApril 30, 2010 at 1:48 PM

    I think Seth has the right idea but, after all, Nate has to have some of his grandma Rita's characteristics (even if it is thumbsucking). I am, however, delighted to tell you I don't do that anymore and haven't since I can hardly remember when so don't take it to heart - Nate will eventually figure it out. Thumb or no thumb, they are still the most wonderful, cutest babies on planet earth (ever)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are two kinds of people in this world, thumbsuckers and bedwetters, most grow to adulthood shedding the nasty habits of infancy :)

    ReplyDelete