Thursday, April 14, 2011

Not Stinkeroo: Salmon Cakes


Not only are Salmon Cakes not stinkeroo, they are about as far from stinkeroo as you could possibly get around these parts. I think they have officially replaced Grilled Cheese as the new dinnertime favorite – and it's a great way to get some protein into my guys who until very recently have remained less than enthusiastic about meat of any kind. 

Meats we have tried: chicken (in a variety of formats), beef (also in a variety of formats), white fish (sole, halibut) and lastly fresh salmon. The only meat they will eat consistently is salmon which seems like an odd choice for little ones (although it's certainly delicious, so I'm not judging, just saying). I can sometimes sneak a little ground beef into them via spaghetti sauce or lasagne but everything else I've tried serving them meat-wise has been soundly met with the stinkeroo stamp of disapproval. Especially chicken. Chicken is the ultimate stinkeroo meat, just so you know.

But I digress. I suspected the Salmon Cakes might be a hit since they are made almost entirely from ingredients I already know both my guys like: salmon, cheese (lots of cheese!), eggs and bread (in crumb form, but still... you can't go wrong with bread or bread-like products over here). The only "surprise" was a little green onion, so I made some with and some without just in case – but apparently green onion (at least a little) meets with their approval.

Chili sauce is optional, but I decided to go for it when I served these up for dinner tonight and but for a little extra mess on hands and faces things remained pretty civilized.


– 'Dis salmon cakes is awesome everyone.
– Chili sauce pretty awesome too. Yum! 


– Seriously everyone – you should drop what you is doing and go make yourself some right now. And if you happen to make some extra, call me. I be right over.
– You call me too. And don't forget the chili sauce! Is yummy, but also fun for doodles.

•   •   •   •   •

Special thanks to Grandma Leslie and Auntie Stephanie for the recipe.

Printer-friendly version here (click to embiggen): 



- L.

1 comment: