Monday, February 20, 2012

Maggot Tiles

A few months prior to Christmas there was a lot of buzz among internet Mommies about Magna-Tiles®.

More specifically, the buzz was about the Clear Colors Magna-Tiles® – and out of the line of Magna-Tiles® products, these would be the obvious choice as they are both colorful and see-through – being suddenly hard to come by. Private retailers though Amazon were jacking up the prices at an alarming rate which is mostly what the hullabaloo was about.

To be honest, I had no idea at the time whether this toy was a hot seller otherwise or not (turns out it was) – but I knew without a doubt that this would be a great toy for my boys. Seth loves building things and Nate loves figuring out how things work – and I love finding things that are within their parameters developmentally while providing a little challenge. 

Sadly, the escalating prices were due to the flooding in Thailand where the toy was manufactured. We managed to find a set at the regular price at a local retailer which was awesome, but regular price on the much coveted 100 piece translucent tiles set is still not cheap – although I justified the expense by telling myself that even if the boys didn't care for it, I would gladly play with the Magna-Tiles® myself. 

And I would have too, except the boys love them*.

Oh, and also they call them "Maggot-Tiles" in case you were wondering about the title of this post. I wanted to get that out of the way in case there was any confusion between Magna-Tiles® and their halt on production. Rest assured, in case you come across a set that isn't priced beyond belief at this point, it has nothing to do with maggots.

A few weeks ago, my boys still needed a lot of help with this toy so it was something I'd only bring out if I had an hour or more to sit and play. Now my guys are fairly solid if you help build the initial structure and then just let them play**.

Of course, this post be meaningless without some photos: 


– Oh hi everyone. Is us. I is having a good time figuring out how things work.
– Oh yes, hi everyone. I is figuring out how to make Nate work since I already knows my way around construction site


– First I points here and barks out orders.
– 'Dis not go over so great. 


– Since that not work out, I points here and explains personal architectural vision in great detail. Nate do the work alright, but he look a little less than impressed.
– "Personal architectural vision" also not go over so great. 


– Finally I gets hands on. Nothing worse than a grumpy crew if you knows what I mean.
– 'Dis nice toy, but would be better with set of earplugs right about now.

- L.

* My boys really loved this toy right out of the box, but I would caveat my recommendation by saying that they were easily frustrated by it initially even with an adult present. The magnets hold a structure together for great temporary play and collapse easily when done. Unfortunately, they also collapse easily when you're not quite done if you happen to be 2. The lack of permanence, despite the love of all things Magna-Tiles®, was actually a bit frustrating for us all.

** The structure in the photos was approximately 50% legitimately built by my boys. They have mastered a cube (which is mostly what you see here) and have recent skills at building a pyramid. The fancy stuff on top was adult-built. To be honest, I was more impressed that they managed to play with it long enough for me to think, "Hey, this is awesome – I should probably go grab my camera!", then grabbing said camera and spending awhile taking photos without any devastating cave-ins/mass destruction/fits of general hysteria***.

*** In case the "fits of general hysteria" is throwing you, keep in mind my boys are 2. They get semi-hysterical over lint at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment