Monday, June 28, 2010

Laundry Watch 2010 | Status Remains At Red Alert

I think I can. I think I can.

– The Little Engine That Could


The end result of Ol' Lonely's visit this morning is that the drain pump on the washer needs replacing – although it's still getting the job done for now, it makes a terrible noise and really could stop functioning at any time. The heating element on the dryer is also broken. He felt the smoky smell probably came from the element and since it's broken there's no longer any danger in running the machine – but of course there's no heat, so that's not going to do us much good.

I've been picking up coils of metal like this off the floor around the machines all morning and being thankful Nate and Seth aren't mobile toddlers yet:



Yeah, it's pretty broken.

It looks like it will be a few days to get in parts if our landlords decide to go with a repair vs. new machines (although I imagine new machines will also take a few days to coordinate), so in the meantime I'm washing what I can and hoping we can sneak downstairs to do some furtive late-night drying tonight before the new tenants move in. So far, the little bums remain covered in cloth and I've got my fingers crossed for sunny skies over the next few days so I can line dry as much as possible because I think I can make this work if the weather will cooperate.

I'm definitely feeling a kinship with that little red engine of late.

- L.

No comments:

Post a Comment