Saturday, October 30, 2010

Updates on Everything III

We Survived: Our first illness. Of course, I was too sick to post about it, but it happened. At first I wasn't sure what was going on so I consulted my mommy friends online with the following:

Can teething cause a runny nose/throat mucous or am I looking at our first family cold? 
I ask because I'm up with a screaming, runny nosed baby who is otherwise showing all the signs of teething. No fever, lots of drool, hand in mouth, etc. But he can't/won't go back to sleep - when I even try to settle him in my arms cradling him he starts coughing/choking. He won't lie on his tummy or side unless he is already/almost asleep and lying reclined on his back is keeping him awake (as is sitting on my lap). Help!

And it turns out teething really can cause a runny nose, but alas it was not the cause this time.

Less than 36 hours later I posted an update:

Well, I thought you all were onto something with the teething/runny nose, even the next day when Seth also got a runny nose (he is also teething though). But today, I have it too. And a sore throat. And I'm definitely NOT teething. Ugh. 

I knew it would happen eventually, but all the same I was dreading it. I'm glad it's over and that I can say we did pretty well all things considered. The boys are long back to 100%. I'm still struggling with occasional bouts of runny nose and dry cough, especially at night, but then it's also allergy season for me so it's hard to know what's residual cold and what is allergies but I'll put myself at 95% which is more that enough to say we survived our first family cold. Yay!

Toothwatch 2010: Keeping an eye out for first teeth may have come and gone – but the teeth, they keep on coming.

Nate has been sporting two top teeth for the past couple weeks, but it wasn't his front teeth he cut first – rather the ones on either side. I guess that's pretty unusual but not only is Seth following suit, it turns out they come by it honestly since I also cut my teeth that way.

This week, after much preemptive drooling Nate finally cut one of his front teeth (right side if you're facing him), but it will probably be awhile before you see any evidence. I think he's still wary of the Tooth Fairy lady and he really doesn't appreciate me poking around in there either.

Final tooth tally for October:

Nate: 5
Seth: 2 (with one imminently on the way).

First Foods: As predicted, applesauce was a success. I might even try making the next batch myself, but don't tell Nate and Seth that or they won't eat it. I'll just pretend it's store-bought.

Up next on the new food frontier is egg yolk (and yes, I will obviously be making that myself, so... shhhh!). If all goes well we'll be trying yogurt next.

Food load for October:

8-10 oz. of solids per baby per day (plus Mum-Mums!)
32-36 oz. of formula per baby per day.

Really, I have no idea why they're so skinny.

Getting around: They are. All over the place. Keep an eye out for (imminent) future posts.

That's all for now, but Nate and Seth are going for their 9 month check-up Nov. 2nd, including height/weight stats so check back for more updates in a few days.

- L.

No comments:

Post a Comment